Sunday, September 2, 2007

Rouen

On Thursday the 28th I went with Quentin and Laure to their hometown: Rouen. It's in Normandy, a couple hours by train NW of Paris. Laure's parents' house was built in 1830. I slept in a beautiful yellow room of my own, probably in the most comfortable bed I'll get to sleep in on my trip. I was lucky to be here for an annual light show. During this treat to the eyes, some of Monet's paintings, other patterns of light inspired by his works, and some contemporary designs are projected onto the church that Monet himself famously painted.





The next day, Laure, her mom, Quentin, and I went to Le Havre, a coastal city near Rouen, almost entirely rebuilt after WWII. Laure's mom treated us to a fancy, delicious lunch, and then we walked to the rugged and rocky beach. As we strolled along the coast to a museum, I felt lucky and happy to find that my mind was full of random and inconsequencial ponderings (sorry, no English spell check), such as why Honda's Jazz and Ford's Mondeo were made for and sold only in Europe. We went to Le Havre's delightful little musuem (pictures of cow studies by Norman artist can be viewed below). Before heading home we stopped to get some things for dinner at a market that sold eggs in baskets, butter by the chunk, and parsley in a fountain.








The next night we went to a little party, a true soiree, at Q & L's friend's house in a beautiful small seaside town about an hour from Rouen. Many of the people there spoke English quite well, thankfully, as about an hour into the party I got tired of being mute (interspersing occasional comments such as, "I like the cake") and just decided to start speaking English. We ate and drank, played charades and Trivial Pursuit. Yes, my culture and I were the butt of many jokes, but it was all in good humor (I think), and I also received a couple quite flattering compliments. Tomorrow I head to Provence to learn how to cut stone.

3 comments:

Ronda said...

Thank you again for sharing your beautiful travel photography!

Yes, to be "at home" in Paris, and a tourist at home....sounds like a journey which can last a life time.
travel well, love, ronda

steph said...

rebecca! it looks so fun! i hope you're having a great time exploring europe!

Shari said...

Sweetie - it's wonderful following you around Europe and seeing what you're seeing. Thanks for blogging. Love the light show photos. Love you, Mama